Friday, November 16, 2012

Reflections On Month 2 In Vietnam "Mad Libs"


The second month was a challenging one. Daily life was, and still is, like trying to read a blog when the author just started leaving out all of verbs and adjectives. I can see what is going on around me, but the meanings of everyones actions are obscured to me. While in America if a word/piece of information is missing from my context my brain automatically fills in the blank, or I ask, "what's going on? Why are you doing that? How are you feeling about this?" There are so many unknown meanings in life when living in a foreign place. It is a fight to live in the discomfort during this learning period, and not just let my brain strain itself filling in the numerous blanks with my experiences of the familiar. Which would just add to feelings of frustration and of being stranded. 
I have learned in Vietnam, when life gives you bitter coffee on a hot day, just add sweet & condensed milk with ice to wash it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment